• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double platforms?

bbarron

I have a predator and have been impressed. Switching to one sticking with EWO next season. I know you can get the one climbing stick, but has anyone tried to run two platforms? Was curious on logistics or carrying quietly in the woods?

If I need more maneuverability around a tree I’ll carry a ROS to use in conjunction with my platform. Otherwise I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d be willing to carry the bulk and weight of two platforms.

I tried it twice because I’m a glutton for punishment and not smart enough to realize the first time it’s a pita.
There’s many issues but first you have gear management, then you have the climbing part and finally deployment. Carrying a stick and your weapon is enough but now you have an extra platform to contend with which you either hold or fingers out how to secure it to your pack without banging around. Once you’re at the tree now you’re swinging around like Spider-Man with that extra platform either weighing you down on your pack if you ascend with your pack on or it’s smacking you in the butt and thighs if it’s hanging off your saddle or it’s at the base of the tree connected to a pull rope. Which is now tangled with your pull rope for your weapon. Once you finally get to your sitting height and your stick is deployed you set about securing the platform only to realize you didn’t account for the extra space required and now there’s a tree branch right in the way. Or you have to thread the platform strap between your stick and the tree, or etc. Lots of pre planning is required for sure. It’s doable and I guess for an all day sit it might be worth it but in my book the aggravation wasn’t worth it.

Lots of guys using a couple-3 steps in conjunction with, or tied right onto the strap of, their platforms. I use rarely but it does work. I would have to imaging that using/camming two platforms without the straps getting in each others’ ways would be a nuisance, aside from the awkwardness of carrying two platforms and getting them both up the tree while you dangle around doing gymnastics lol. Streamlining (and safety of course) is the name of the game if you’re cutting your setup down to one stick.

Some people actually carry whole bunch of sticks just to climb. Compared to that having the platform is minor added weight and bulk. But I bought a separate 17" stick without platform to use with separate platform. It's nice to avoid bulk and the normal double step still allows to walk around the tree.

If I need more maneuverability around a tree I’ll carry a ROS to use in conjunction with my platform. Otherwise I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d be willing to carry the bulk and weight of two platforms.
I think the ROS with your One stick is the way to go like Jammin said

I don't personally use Wild Edge Steppes but adding one or two of those might be a viable option. But I agree that a ROS is probably the better solution.

I've done this once or twice a few seasons ago, one sticked up and then set my mission platform next to it. It works ok (you get about 270 degrees movement on the tree if you push off the sides of the platforms) but like others have said, a ring of steps is better. One stick+ 5 squirrel steps gets you 360 access around the tree. I just did this last night and ended up sliding my tether around and spending a hour on the squirrel steps because I had set up my platform on the wrong side of the tree for the deer activity. Standing on steps isn't an all day solution (for me) but gets the job done for those situations quite nicely.

When I am going to do a long hang or I am concerned about deer coming in from the week side I use my EDP and my UOS W/ an angled UP for comfort and to be able to get around the tree to turn a weak side shot into a strong side shot when possible.

I did just pick up a ROS from the classifieds however I have not tried them yet. I am going to try them for shorter sits along with my UOS/UP. If I had to guess my EDP weights about 2 lbs more than my ROS. I do not notice carrying my EDP on my Treeshouse 38 bulk wise just the extra couple lbs.

Last edited:
I was thinking of 2 persute platforms i could stand between like a ring of steps
Me too. Only have one pursuit though. I do have a friend close enough to try it though, we need to join forces and try it!

Back