• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree saws.

IHI6FAN

Vendor Rep
Looking for some info on tree saws. Looking at silky saws. Any one have any recommendations

Silky's are the top dog no doubt, I used to use the fine tooth Gomtaro for detail pruning soft barked trees like Olives and Japanese Maples. For general pruning a Fanno 13 is a very good saw too that won't break the bank. Whatever hand saw you choose, treat them very carefully and make sure to always have a scabbard with any saw. Always cut away from any body parts and store them properly. The modern razor tooth saws work great but they can open you up too like quick.

Are you looking for a pack saw that will only see occasional use or a saw that will be used every day?

I've carried one of these cheapo Stanley folding saws in my hunting pack literally for decades and it has done everything I've ever asked of it. It's been used to cut branches, bone, and metal. The handle uses standard interchangeable reciprocating saw blades (wide selection available) and offers storage for several more blades that can be swapped out as needed. And did I mention it's lightweight and SUPER CHEAP?!
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-15-333-8-Inch-Folding-Pocket/dp/B00002X21U

The Silky Saws are indeed premium saws but they do the exact same thing a cheapo Stanley does. BTW, one replacement Silky blade will run you over $30.

I will use it clearing shooting lanes for deer hunting an trimming trees an brush at rentals.

For clearing shooting lanes and stuff you may consider a bigger saw. The razor tooth saws in general are great with smaller cuts. They fly through wood up to I'd say 2-2.5" maybe 3". But they don't have set teeth so they don't clear chips very well on bigger cuts and start to bind up. A larger saw with set teeth like this won't have as sharp of teeth but they easily clear chips so they can rip through bigger cuts without binding up http://www.fannosaw.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

When I hunted on a lease I used a 13" and 21" handsaw or a 13" and a 10' polesaw (with a 13" handsaw blade) in season quite a bit when not wanting to disturb the woods too much.

Last spring I got a Silky Tsurugi 400mm straight blade saw and scabbard, it’s amazing. Shortly after I found large and medium tooth blades for 10$ at Gempler’s clearance section so I bought a few of each. Think I’m good on the handsaw front for the next 20 years or so.

Before that I used a 300mm Silky Gomtaro, no big complaints originally, but my last replacement blade was thinner and flimsier than the first one that came with the saw. Wasn’t a big deal since it cuts on the pull stroke, but it’d be easier to damage/ bend if it got pinched. Still have it, and think I’ll get the combo blade for it, large teeth on most of it, and fine teeth on the last 4-5” of it.

Also have a curved pruning saw from Samurai, and I really would recommend these Samurai saws for anyone that doesn’t want to spend the cash on Silkys. Still very fine quality impulse hardened Japanese steel, but not full tang like the silky fixed blades, it’s maybe 1/3 tang I guess. I abused this saw pretty hard, swinging it like a hatchet to occasionally break deadwood, and it kept working just fine. Around 35-40$ I think for the Ichibahn saw and scabbard. Very much comparable to the Zubat.

I have a Silky Zubat and it works great. I found a good price for about $50. They are normally around $80. Nothing that I have used beats the Corona saw for the price. I bought 2 from Lowes on sale for $11 each. The Corona saw got the @Nutterbuster seal of approval when I posted about it this past spring.

The Corona saw is just sticking out of my pouch after I removed some dead stuck branches in the park.

Last edited:
I have a Silky Zubat and it works great. I found a good price for about $50. They are normally around $80. Nothing that I have used beats the Corona saw for the price. I bought 2 from Lowes on sale for $11 each. The Corona saw got the @Nutterbuster seal of approval when I posted about it this past spring.

I don’t carry a saw anymore unless I think I need it. If I need it it’s worth carrying the corona. I haven’t used a silky but the corona beats any of the “pocket” sized saw by a long shot. Anything I would want to use a smaller sized saw on could be cut easier with pruners.

Back