• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitdrag rope climbing with NO leg loops

bj139

I was up a tree this afternoon using RADS with my rock climbing harness and I found the foot ascender worked fine to pull on the tag end of the rope after passing through the GriGri and pulley. I later decided to try my sitdrag to do the same thing. I felt myself slowly slipping from the sitdrag about 20 feet up and it was not a comfortable feeling. I now know specifically what the leg loops are for. A saddle with no leg loops is fine for standing on a platform and leaning. It is not so good for hanging from a rope 20 feet up. I did have a heavy duty nylon belt around my waist so slipping from the sitdrag would have left me hanging with the belt up under my ribs. I am sure I would have escaped uninjured. I quickly unhooked my ascenders from the top rope and my foot and rappeled down with the Gri Gri.

I was being careful to use a safety belt. Rock climbers only used safety belts a few decades ago.
I had to lean back horizontally to keep my weight centered on the saddle while rappeling. People that use sitdrags with no safety belt or leg loops are quite the adventurers.:)

I was being careful to use a safety belt. Rock climbers only used safety belts a few decades ago.
I had to lean back horizontally to keep my weight centered on the saddle while rappeling. People that use sitdrags with no safety belt or leg loops are quite the adventurers.:)

I would bet that none of them use SRT! Lol I never did. I used a separate linesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet that none of them use SRT! Lol I never did. I used a separate linesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No linesman belt (LB) or tether necessary in SRT. When hunting season starts, I will probably use one stick with a backup LB and a 40 foot tether so I can rappel down. I tried one sticking once and it was easier than I thought.

You could be dead within a couple minutes hanging from a waist belt around your rib cage. I advise against anyone out there who is considering climbing rope in a sit drag.

You could be dead within a couple minutes hanging from a waist belt around your rib cage. I advise against anyone out there who is considering climbing rope in a sit drag.
That's pretty much what I was advising for the reasons I stated above.:)

When I first posted this I was trying new things and the sitdrag was free to move forwards and backwards. I now climb with a belt and GI sustainment pouch which keeps the sitdrag hanging at the proper level. If I feel the sitdrag slipping up, I cup my butt and it slides further down my legs but stopped by the GI pouch. Anyway, now I climb this way all the time and I am GTG. I have posted about this on SH in many places.

Back