• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simple Stirrups Climb Video

justsomedude

85897729-01D0-4801-B177-97BD9D214B94.jpeg
This setup weighs 3 pounds

708461AA-C342-4A75-A055-0E3E34E745D8.jpeg

Still getting the technique down...but I'm going to work on it for a while.

Stiff thicker rope with a Screw Link Girth Hitch moves easier.
I'm using Bluewater 11mm Assault

Simple Prusiks on both tethers (Klemheist at the moment). End of tethers backup clipped to carabiner

Backup sling from foot tether to harness (about 18" long)

Climbing down is faster than climbing up. Takes about 2 minutes to get to 15'

You just stand in the stirrups, left hand on the tree and grab the top tether with you right hand and lift up a little. Unless you are on a crazy tree, the tether will fall down against your left arm. Just sit down/lean back in the harness and do the same for the foot tether.
The hardest part is remember not to move down too far in one step

Last edited:
I just tried this same setup with a 5 step Aider instead of stirrups. You set your Linesmans belt like a flip line as you climb the Aider and then set your tether as high as you can reach.

You get farther in each move, but climbing he Aider is a different kind of work. It is also not quite as stable

Thanks for the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping up this old thread.
Still the lightest safest method I have found.

That screwlink girth hitch makes it really easy.
What's great is that when you are at height, you are already tethered.
You can pause when almost up and set your platform (Ameristep ROS for me) and then go up a bit further and you are ready to go.

I'm going to train for this and see how it goes.

Interesting. Certainly light weight. Plus the safety of being tethered.

I'm finding that I struggle with tether based climbing methods (LWHC, 1-Stick) more than with lineman belt methods (WE, multiple sticks).

Eternal tradeoffs I guess. I'm not giving up on my 1-Stick trial yet. It has gotten better in just three practice sessions. I just notice a lot of the same things that I didn't love about climbing with LWHC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interesting. Certainly light weight. Plus the safety of being tethered.

I'm finding that I struggle with tether based climbing methods (LWHC, 1-Stick) more than with lineman belt methods (WE, multiple sticks).

Eternal tradeoffs I guess. I'm not giving up on my 1-Stick trial yet. It has gotten better in just three practice sessions. I just notice a lot of the same things that I didn't love about climbing with LWHC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This method is nice in that you can't fall.
Using just two foot loops as opposed to an aider, you don't have to constantly fish your feet into the loops.
Two foot loops at an even height keeps you from getting off balanced on a crooked tree.
You don't have to be super athletic to do this. Requires about the same strength you would need to use a hand climber.

Some of my favorite hunting spots require some difficult trails and climbing hills.
Even just one climbing stick gets on my nerves when going to those areas.

With a rig like this, I will generally carry a rappel rig or maybe even just use a long tether and keep a descender with me.
I like having a backup method for getting down a tree. Just an extra measure of caution.
I don't usually go that high up anyway.

If I want to take a break, I can leave a long tether up at height and just use the foot loops to get back up the tree.

I tried this back when you originally posted about it. I liked it, just like every method it worked great with a straight tree. If I got a leaner or branches though it was just too much fiddling, too slow going to get 20-25’. I sure do wish I could make this or single aider work a little better for me, can’t beat the weight.

Really like this method as a back up for SRT just in case I get a throw bag hung up or something or someone took my preset paracord. This will make life easier to get to hunting height and then just rappel down at the end. Will keep this in my climbing gear bag shouldn’t add to much weight. Plus it will be a great peace of mind to carry with. Thanks for video will be making this in near future

I tried this back when you originally posted about it. I liked it, just like every method it worked great with a straight tree. If I got a leaner or branches though it was just too much fiddling, too slow going to get 20-25’. I sure do wish I could make this or single aider work a little better for me, can’t beat the weight.
I think the key is to not be in a rush. Stay relaxed and don't get greedy and try to stretch up too much in one move (just like One Stick or hand Climber)
It ends up being faster/quieter and not as tiring.

But I rarely go higher than 15',
Leaning trees can get weird but not NEARLY as bad as using an Aider.
I had Aiders kick out sideways on me when I was up pretty high and that took out all the fun!

With this stirrup method you might just bounce down a little.
And with your feet even, you can keep your balance without being against the tree.

Really like this method as a back up for SRT just in case I get a throw bag hung up or something or someone took my preset paracord. This will make life easier to get to hunting height and then just rappel down at the end. Will keep this in my climbing gear bag shouldn’t add to much weight. Plus it will be a great peace of mind to carry with. Thanks for video will be making this in near future

One other detail.
The stirrup tether can become your main tether if you want to switch over to rappel.
Or you can use it as a temp tether while adjusting your main tether differently.

Some have even used it to hunt from (as their platform).
I have only done that when using a Seat instead of a Saddle and used the Stirrups as my climbing method with that.

One other detail.
The stirrup tether can become your main tether if you want to switch over to rappel.
Or you can use it as a temp tether while adjusting your main tether differently.

Some have even used it to hunt from (as their platform).
I have only done that when using a Seat instead of a Saddle and used the Stirrups as my climbing method with that.

Thanks for the advice sounds fantastic. Need to put this together and try it. I really hope this will work for backup. Good lite weight option to have. Thanks for the feedback

I'm gonna use this on tree with no limbs awesome all the reading I did on this site I still miss stuff lil

I'm gonna use this on tree with no limbs awesome all the reading I did on this site I still miss stuff lil
To pass a limb, you can attach your harness to the foot tether and set the main tether above the limb and re-attach it to your harness.
Take up the slack as you stand up on the stirrups and move your top tether up a bit.
Then move the foot tether above the limb and move on.

I have also used a sling as a quick safety tie off when dealing with things like this.

This is when it is handy to have a rappel rig for descending.

a few details

Screwlinks on the tethers for easy movement up and down the tree when unloaded.
SCREWLINKS ARE A NUISANCE IF YOU ARE PASSING BRANCHES.
On mine, they have to be opened to remove from the tree.
IF YOU DON'T want to use the Screwlinks, just girth hitch through the knot as usual.
You can use the screw links as a handle to move the tether. The rope sticks to the tree more when you don't use the screwlink

A short sling attached to the foot tether carabiner attached to my saddle as a backup and to keep from losing the foot tether.

Prusiks on the tethers.
The foot loops on the stirrups are stuffed with 9mm rope (before tying) and then wrapped with rubber hose/tape so they are open for my big boots.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?attachments/img_2940-jpg.2661/

Last edited:
I like all these ideas and I have tried most of them - and yet I keep returning to 3 sticks and 1 CAYG aider. Allows me to freelance and climb any tree i encounter and still be 100% compliant with any state laws I might encounter.

I like all these ideas and I have tried most of them - and yet I keep returning to 3 sticks and 1 CAYG aider. Allows me to freelance and climb any tree i encounter and still be 100% compliant with any state laws I might encounter.
I just don't like hiking with sticks.
And I know I am being a sissy....
I don't like standing on a climbing stick using just a Lineman's belt.

With this setup, I am on TWO tethers.
The tree would have to fall to have an accident.

I just don't like hiking with sticks.
And I know I am being a sissy....
I don't like standing on a climbing stick using just a Lineman's belt.

With this setup, I am on TWO tethers.
The tree would have to fall to have an accident.

I understand, I dislike their bulk as well - just not as bad strapped to a pack with top of stick below shoulder level. And you can just as easily use a tether with a climbing stick. Leaning trees just challenge me with anything outside of stick, screw in steps or spurs.

I understand, I dislike their bulk as well - just not as bad strapped to a pack with top of stick below shoulder level. And you can just as easily use a tether with a climbing stick. Leaning trees just challenge me with anything outside of stick, screw in steps or spurs.
Part of my problem is I just do the shoulder strap stick carry method.
Not clean.
I use my sticks when I am setting up on the edge of a field and might only be 100 yards from my car.

I got into this no stick method after trying One-Stick.
This is more portable, quiet, cheap, safer, a little slower.
The gear used is all dual purpose (it's your tether when you get up to height).

Back