• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sabot slugs

Keenan1561

I hunt in one of the last counties in NY that is a shotgun County. I'm using a 12 2&3/4 1100. I've used Federal's in the past. I just got some boxes of the new Brenneke Topas to test out. I stay away from the higher priced shells and am looking for recs on reasonably priced shells.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hunt in one of the last counties in NY that is a shotgun County. I'm using a 12 2&3/4 1100. I've used Federal's in the past. I just got some boxes of the new Brenneke Topas to test out. I stay away from the higher priced shells and am looking for recs on reasonably priced shells.

Try Hornady SSTs or Superformance. I've gotten good accuracy and terminal performance out of both.

The Remington accutip shoots a 2” group out of my 20 ga. Savage. I switched to the Remington Barnes and they seem just as accurate.

Reactions: NDH
Not helpful to you, but somewhat related:

Years ago I was driving to GA to hunt early one morning and was listening to “O’Neil Outdoors” or some such variation as that on the radio. He was talking about Sabot slugs and pronouncing the word as “sa-butt”, which is the only way I’d ever heard it pronounced. Shortly after he gets a caller (no offense, but he was a yankee sounding guy) that went into some long winded diatribe about the etymology of the word “Sabot” with an emphasis on the correct pronunciation being “say-bō”.

O’Neil apologized to the gentleman for the mispronunciation, explaining that he had never heard any of this then took another call. O’Neil asks this next feller how his morning is going and the older, definitely local, feller replies, “ah hell, purty good I reckon. I’m just sitting here watching some “A-bō and Costello” reruns......”

I almost crashed

Last edited:
I shoot the same gun, try Winchester BRI slugs. My buddy had a gun shop and said just about every gun he tried them in shot well, shot very well in mine!

I shoot the same gun, try Winchester BRI slugs. My buddy had a gun shop and said just about every gun he tried them in shot well, shot very well in mine!
The gun was my late father's. He got it as a safe driving award from UPS. He worked for UPS for 36 years. The 1100 was for 20 or 25 years safe driving. He would get a catalog of gifts for years of safe driving. There was a nice section of hunting gun. He shot the original BRI sabot slugs when he was alive. I can still remember the gold box they came in, dam that was almost 30 years ago....

I have had great accuracy and performance shooting Barnes sabots out of my muzzleloader, so I’m guessing you could count on similar result out of a shotgun.

This was the cheapest I've ever found sabot slugs. I ordered from them a few years back, probably need to do so again (please don't buy them all before I get a chance!).

They shot OKish out of my Ithaca 37. Not the most accurate, but enough to get the job done.

I’ve used Remington Accu tips with good luck! But they are also expensive.

I hunt in Mississippi, most of our state you can use rifles of choice on most private land even during Primitive Weapon seasons.

The wma’s though, it’s either bow, primitive weapon, or shotgun with slugs. I’ve always used my bow or my dads muzzleloader. Well this year he’s gotten back into hunting and joined a camp so he will be using his muzzleloader.

I have an old Winchester 1300 pump and I picked up a couple boxes of of Remington Premier Copper Solid 3” sabot slugs based off the opinion and choice of the guy at the local gun shop for about $10 a box. There were some much more expensive as well as some cheaper, but he said they would do good.

To be honest, I don’t know squat about slugs. My shotgun has a smooth bore barrel. So I know the accuracy won’t be the same as a rifled barrel, but he said they would do good out to about 75yds or so, which is about as far as I plan on shooting with it anyways.

I haven’t shot them yet but this weekend I will probably shoot at a BIG cardboard box just to see where they hit and how they fly. If I don’t like them, I’ll just stick with my bow. I’ll try and chime back in after some shooting with my results.

Any tips on on sabots through a smooth note would be appreciated haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can shoot a sabot through a smooth bore but the old style slug would be better. The sabot’s case (which is actually the sabot, but anyway) catches the rifleing and spins it.

You can shoot a sabot through a smooth bore but the old style slug would be better. The sabot’s case (which is actually the sabot, but anyway) catches the rifleing and spins it.

Thanks. Any certain brand you prefer or recommend?

The very small amount of ‘research’ I did on the subject a few months ago, showed that at 25 yds a rifled barrel only spun the sabot about a 1/4 turn (not saying anything I watched was the most accurate information since it was on YouTube). Then they shot the sabot through a smooth bore, of course no spin, but still hit within a 1/2” or so of the rifled barrel at 25yds. The bigger difference came when they shot out at like 100yds or so, the rifled barrel hit 2 or 3” groups pretty consistently and the smooth bore had like 5 or 6” groups.

Now with that said, those numbers are what I ‘believe’ I remember the video showing. I guess my point is, the rifled barrel was like twice as accurate, but they still shot pretty decent. Honestly with no scope I doubt I could hit that tight of groups at all haha. I don’t plan on shooting but 50yds, maybe 75yds absolute max so maybe it will be fine, I hope anyways ha! I’m hoping they shoot good enough to use to stalk around in some pine thickets that a bow would be very difficult to maneuver with.

If they don’t hit worth a flip I’ll get some of the regular slugs and give them a whirl, if I’m no better with them I’ll stick with my bow ha. I’ll still come back with my results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I killed a buck at 80 yards this morning . Used a Winchester sx3 with Hornaby sabots. Perfect heart lung. Moved 2 feet and dropped
With a rifled barrel they are really accurate and leave a big hole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Any certain brand you prefer or recommend?

Whatever your gun likes. I know that’s no help. Sounds like you are on the right track. You can shoot sabots from a smooth bore I’m just not sure the gain in accuracy justifies the expense. I think Federal makes a slug with some kind of fancy guidance control wad that’s stuck on the back of the slug that’s supposed to be accurate. I’ve never shot it but seem to remember it not being much cheaper if at all than the sst sabots.

Back