• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel Autoblock

justsomedude

I just got in from testing a Sterling ATS descender.
I think I might take the trouble to use rappel even when I have bolts or steps to take down.
Feels much safer.

I used a Sterling Hollow Block wrapped into a french prusik below the descender to a carabiner on my leg loop. The french prusik doesn't jam and can opened up while completely weighted.
It is also much easier to rig and can be done while keeping one end clipped to your leg loop.

I got up my test tree climbing on 12 tree bolts.
As an experiment, I used the Autoblock and was easily able to stop and take down the bolts as I went.
You just tend the prusik to get moving again. EASY.

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO GO HANDS FREE USING AN AUTOBLOCK. Of course, I did.

I am going to compare this with running a Prusik above the descender. I just worry about the risk of jamming the Prusik that way.

I just got in from testing a Sterling ATS descender.
I think I might take the trouble to use rappel even when I have bolts or steps to take down.
Feels much safer.

I used a Sterling Hollow Block wrapped into a french prusik below the descender to a carabiner on my leg loop. The french prusik doesn't jam and can opened up while completely weighted.
It is also much easier to rig and can be done while keeping one end clipped to your leg loop.

I got up my test tree climbing on 12 tree bolts.
As an experiment, I used the Autoblock and was easily able to stop and take down the bolts as I went.
You just tend the prusik to get moving again. EASY.

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO GO HANDS FREE USING AN AUTOBLOCK. Of course, I did.

I am going to compare this with running a Prusik above the descender. I just worry about the risk of jamming the Prusik that way.
Just make sure to carry and extra long sling to use as a rescue device so you can unweight the rope. I've rapped out of trees on multiple occations with the prusik above by just clipping the pirana in next to my prusik since the e2e extend the prusik just above the device. But I'm using a 10mm prusik with a 11mm rope.

Back