• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this saddle safe to use?

casts_by_fly

Hi all

when I got to height on Friday I noticed this tear on my saddle. I think it’s from my sticks based on where it is. There must be a sharp edge on a foot. The cut is about 4” long. It’s practically through the cloth where it is single thickness. The backed up double thickness has a fully interact lower layer. I think it’s fine since it is in the body fabric and not in a weight bearing area. Some saddles don’t even have that panel. My plan would be to use a fabric patch to keep it from splitting further, maybe a stitch or two. Any problems with that?

rick

Attachments

• DB85FCD1-F851-4C1B-B0DC-7E822D4E5D15.jpeg
    DB85FCD1-F851-4C1B-B0DC-7E822D4E5D15.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 156
  • D5F6E9BB-DF87-429D-A9A6-131BB9780362.jpeg
    D5F6E9BB-DF87-429D-A9A6-131BB9780362.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 158
Should be ok but I would check it each time before you use it . What kind of saddle is it?

Can't tell what brand that is. Wonder if it's worth reaching out if you got it new. They may be willing to help you out if you send it back .

Should be fine. Doesn't look like the rip is in the webbing so it shouldn't have any strucutral issues. I would patch the hole anyways though

the webbing is what is rated, but if you took a spill surely the fabric would aid in keeping the webbing and saddle where you'd like it on your body

i would probably consider a patch of a strong fabric and then encompass the rip with a bar tack - like stitch forming a box around it

you might be able to use 1 or 1.5" flat webbing as the patch.....however, there is likely a chance that this would create some sort of hot spot or something where you could feel the patch/added stiffness there

Last edited:
I agree. I think as long as your webbing is in intact it's good to go. I would however try to get a hold of the Tethrd guys and see if they can repair it for you?

But I like this one... :)

I do understand the opportunity though. I'll just not be using it this time.
You dont get brownie points skipping an opportunity to upgrade. Never forget all expenditures will be used against you in the court of Her. Unless you can catch her needing to upgrade something, then you in bidness :p

You dont get brownie points skipping an opportunity to upgrade. Never forget all expenditures will be used against you in the court of Her. Unless you can catch her needing to upgrade something, then you in bidness :p

Fair point. I'll save this one though. I've got a fish finder upgrade coming up this spring that's going to dwarf a saddle change. Then again, the fish finder (and accessories) are about the same as one good purse which my wife manages to buy each year at bonus time.

Put your big girl panties on, spit some tobacco juice on it and get up that tree! Just teasing of course.

Seriously though, if it were me, I'd get a new one, especially since this one is 2yrs old. Buth that's just my confort level. I like as close to 0% chance of something happening at height as I can get.

I do like @raisins idea of a patch if a new one is not going to happen. If I went that route, I would take it to a seamstress and let them do it, or at least get some experienced input.

Also, I may have skimmed over it, but I didn't read where you reached out to Thethrd. I would think they would give you at least a $50 coupon to secure another sale, and some positive feed back on various forums. (Actually, I would even mention that.)

Also, I may have skimmed over it, but I didn't read where you reached out to Thethrd. I would think they would give you at least a $50 coupon to secure another sale, and some positive feed back on various forums. (Actually, I would even mention that.)

Tethrd reached out to him and replaced the saddle.

Back