• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Inexpensive Platform - Passing Along the Idea

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
John E called to pass the time on his drive home from an out of state show. In other words he already tried the rest of his contact list. Between my sales pitches for him to come hunt a creek bank in December - he asked me to share this idea with the forum.

A guy at the show was excited to pass it along. This has not been tested by either of us. The guy who shared has made a few and they work for his set up. As always this is for ground level use only....

It is simply a ratchet strap and 3" or 4" hose. The maker said 3" is sufficient. 4" might be more comfortable for someone with a wide foot.

Just like the Ameristeps he tightens his strap most of the way, positions the hose pieces where he wants them and then ratchets them tight.

Copy it or use it to improve it...

bc8accb6ef65e473e4d4c8f7ac085765.jpg

a765538d9aaa418c537a13f633015f01.jpg

f34dfa59386570e2a55f7454cc18c5cb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iKato and alukban

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
Interesting. Where the heck do you buy 4" DIA EDPM tubing from though? Probably some sort of industrial supply? Never seen it thicker than an 1" or so at local hardware stores.

Reactions: alukban

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
yep I agree I think the weight will go up but it is interesting. Will it hold up to 220 pounds? I am thinking it would give a lot with my weight?

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
yep I agree I think the weight will go up but it is interesting. Will it hold up to 220 pounds? I am thinking it would give a lot with my weight?

Not sure Dave. I may give it a try if I stumble across the hosing. For now, it is just a guy told a guy type thing. Certainly has some advantages. Seems like it would be mighty soft on the feet. I believe John said that was why it was made - the screw in steps weren't comfortable for the maker. Maybe we can get him on the forum and show him some of your platform builds for foot comfort...

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
its definitely an interesting concept. Add some traction strips and there ya go - and ratchet straps and pipe are probably easily accessible. Will be interested in hearing about the weight and structural integrity - I am very interested perhaps these along with a platform..........

do you have a supplier? I did a quick google not much -perhaps it goes by a trade name?

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Interesting idea.

+ DIY, should be quiet.
- Looks bulky.

As always, we appreciate new ideas!

halltrail

Oct 16, 2014
Interesting idea, Be cool to hear from someone here who tries it. I bet it is soft on the feet. I wonder if it would be a little noisy with the hose compressing and uncomressing against a tree? Also, it could be a little to bulky to pack in? But it may not be bad for some pre set trees....if the hose is cheap. If I can find something like that hose...I may give a shot and see. I have trouble with my feet hurting and falling asleep...although it is much better now that Im using those bolts with a platform welded to them...(you can see them in one of my previous posts)

Thedevine

Oct 28, 2015
ok, i found a local supplier that has 6 ft available of the 4 inch (check with your local industrial suppliers) ....$11 a ft and $10 shipping.... im thinking of trying this.... would you all recommend one single piece length? if so how long? or a number of separate piece lengths? if so how long? I was thinking 2 separate pieces so thats its adjustable and more packable

Last edited:

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
This hose is wire wound and will not compress easily. Will not be pack friendly. Be careful of the wire in it I have seen it go through fingers.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

halltrail

Oct 16, 2014
I tried looking up the stuff and couldnt find any on the web....but didnt try to hard. Glad you found some. Id get a single piece first and try it that way...then maybe cut it up if needed.

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
Mar 10, 2016
ok, i found a local supplier that has 6 ft available of the 4 inch (check with your local industrial suppliers) ....$11 a ft and $10 shipping.... im thinking of trying this.... would you all recommend one single piece length? if so how long? or a number of separate piece lengths? if so how long? I was thinking 2 separate pieces so thats its adjustable and more packable

I think you would need shorter chunks so the strap catches the tree, if you used one long piece I imagine it would want to roll down the tree.

Reactions: IkemanTX

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
I think you would need shorter chunks so the strap catches the tree, if you used one long piece I imagine it would want to roll down the tree.

I second this thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
THe last pic shows a long piece that would cover a bit more than half of a small tree.
But I would think you would want 4 pieces maybe 6"

blbloomquist

Oct 1, 2015
central Michigan
Check any local hydraulic suppliers or farm tractor and implement dealers. I would definitely want some traction strips or something on them if they worked out. That hydraulic hose will take a lot to compress it. Looks interesting. I will have to check at work they may have something in the 3 inch range.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
THe last pic shows a long piece that would cover a bit more than half of a small tree.
But I would think you would want 4 pieces maybe 6"
I think those are the same pieces touching end to end for transport.

Simple idea...Bulky, but effective.

Smokinya1

Jul 11, 2016
Shelby Al.
I wonder what diameter size options there are for this pipe? I like the idea especially for pre sets but was thinking if there are different sizes you could get 2-3 sizes possibly fit them inside each other for packing purposes with the largest piece being more of the main platform.