• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting with a ground length tether?

justsomedude

I've seen a few people mention doing this? Is it a nuisance? Do you pull up the tail and stow it while hunting?
Weighing the options between hunting with a long tether and repelling down it or using my tether and switching to a second rope for descent.

Another issue is I like using my Ropeman 1 on my tether so no skinny rope for my tether.

Id pull it up and stow it while hunting.
Once i didnt pull up my back pack tow rope. I let it hang.
A doe came in behind me. I could barely see her. (it was pre-saddle days for me i was in a climbing stand.) she sniffed my line, tensed up, did an about face and power walked back to where she came from.

I'm at a point where I dump all my hanging ropes into a three mag dump pouch.

I'm starting to believe this has a scent advantage. Historically I've left bungees and straps at the base of the tree. With the spurs, I not have the ability to keep all equipment, porous and nonporous, and all the scent that goes with it, elevated.

With the spurs, I not have the ability to keep all equipment, porous and nonporous, and all the scent that goes with it, elevated.
Walmart sells a rubber coated gear hooks with a woodscrew on the end for like $1.
I have 3 in my saddle gear.
Maybe you could put all the stuff you leave on the ground in your pack and hang it on a hook with you in the tree?
Thats what I do. And if you hang your pack at the right height it gives you more to hide behind when the deer comes in.

Walmart sells a rubber coated gear hooks with a woodscrew on the end for like $1.
I have 3 in my saddle gear.
Maybe you could put all the stuff you leave on the ground in your pack and hang it on a hook with you in the tree?
Thats what I do. And if you hang your pack at the right height it gives you more to hide behind when the deer comes in.
My typical setup utilizes multiple utility hooks on a piece of nylon webbing as I don't always have the luxury of using screw ins on public land. This also let's me set up the tree quickly and quietly the same way, every time. I think the later is important

I keep my tree accessible items like grunt tube, rangefinder, binos, thermos etc in the top of my pack and tethered with paracord. I just hang up my pack and pull the tethered items out to hang from the pack. I keep a daisy chain connected to the hang loop on the pack (stowed in the top pouch) and just take it out and run it around the tree and clip it to itself.

You can't drop anything and packing up couldn't be easier.

My typical setup utilizes multiple utility hooks on a piece of nylon webbing as I don't always have the luxury of using screw ins on public land. This also let's me set up the tree quickly and quietly the same way, every time. I think the later is important

I use a gri gri and a long rope and repel down every time. 90% of time I pull up the rope and store it on my backpack to keep it off the ground. I actually use the rope to attach my bow to and pull up bow and rope. Funny thing though...just this past tuesday, I decided to leave the rope just hanging from the tree and shot a nice doe that was 10 yards from me. It was a tough shot being up 28 feet and that close. But she went down about 60 yards from impact.

DO you use the Grigri on your tether for the whole hunt?
I can see justifying the weight and bulk if it stayed on all the time. I could clip in on the ground and raise my tether as I climb and then rappel down without ever having to transition to a different rig.

I use a gri gri and a long rope and repel down every time. 90% of time I pull up the rope and store it on my backpack to keep it off the ground. I actually use the rope to attach my bow to and pull up bow and rope. Funny thing though...just this past tuesday, I decided to leave the rope just hanging from the tree and shot a nice doe that was 10 yards from me. It was a tough shot being up 28 feet and that close. But she went down about 60 yards from impact.

I'm going in whole hog and just picked up a "Petzl I'D descender" and plan to use that as my attachment point to the tree tether/anchor.

It will thus also be my rescue/rappel device and it can also be used as an ascender with just a prussik or a ropeman + pulley if I ever want to go to just climbing up trees with a single line.

As I have mentioned here before, I am afraid of heights and this Petzl thing seems to ease me psychologically because there is minimal fiddling. You attach to your tether via this one device and that is it - does everything.

PS. I pile the line behind my LW seat/platform.

61193C2F-B3F2-446D-A323-CA0A22783410_zpsztbmpulj.jpg

Last edited:
I can see justifying the weight and bulk if it stayed on all the time. I could clip in on the ground and raise my tether as I climb and then rappel down without ever having to transition to a different rig.

Yes sir, I use it for the whole hunt. It goes on and stays on. The other thing is that if you setup a tree for future use with a paracord line, you can use the grigri to climb using SRT which is really fun and quick. But you need a few more things..a micro pulley, an ascender and a foot loop. But it is a great light weight and quiet setup once you have a few trees pre set.

I would not use the gri gri for this. There is no locking mechanism and if you put slack in your line it may not catch again right away. When I use the gri gri I always make sure I put full weight onto the device and that it is holding firmly before I detach my linemans belt.

I'm going in whole hog and just picked up a "Petzl I'D descender" and plan to use that as my attachment point to the tree tether/anchor.

It will thus also be my rescue/rappel device and it can also be used as an ascender with just a prussik or a ropeman + pulley if I ever want to go to just climbing up trees with a single line.

As I have mentioned here before, I am afraid of heights and this Petzl thing seems to ease me psychologically because there is minimal fiddling. You attach to your tether via this one device and that is it - does everything.

The ID is a great device and I like how it locks, its super safe. The only things I don't like about it is its size and length. The length was a problem for me when doing SRT. I am able to do it much more efficient with a gri gri.

61193C2F-B3F2-446D-A323-CA0A22783410_zpsztbmpulj.jpg
How do you like the LW climber as a climbing device and platform?

I like it a lot but, truthfully, I don't have much experience with anything else so I may just not know any better :)

From what I recall, the LW climber seat is about 3 lbs.

It is the climber and platform though though so that's it --> about 3 lbs other than your saddle setup.

That's why I figure I can afford the weight of the Petzl I'D which is a little over a pound.

Last edited:
Are you using the LW Handclimber without the seat? Climbing using the stand and then using the platform?

I like it a lot but, truthfully, I don't have much experience with anything else so I may just not know any better :)

From what I recall, the LW climber seat is about 3 lbs.

It is the climber and platform though though so that's it --> about 3 lbs other than your saddle setup.

That's why I figure I can afford the weight of the Petzl I'D which is a little over a pound.

Use the SEAT of the LW hand climber as both the climber (attached to your boots via DIY stirrups) and the platform.

Got the idea from this guy:

Back