• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gaff/spur guards?

BOMO

For you that use spurs, what guards are you using for when you aren't wearing the spurs, if any? Thanks!

mine came with leather protectors, but i have seen some good ones made out of rubber tubing. like a hydraulic hose an attached with tie wire. the kind of wire you use for rebar in concrete.

Nothing on mine right now. Haven't found anything I really like. I bet a piece of water hose would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh I need the gaff guardians.
They look really nice, but I'm liking the garden hose idea a little better. I've already lost a leather gaff guard, and the garden hose would be a very cheap replacement.

How does the hose work?
I think you just shove a short section of hose on to the spur. I haven't tried it yet, but I poked my spur through the leather guard the other day so I need a better option.

Good call on the guardians.. been using hooks for quite a bit of time. "Lineworker" I tried the rubber hose for a while. It worked but there kind of a pain. I.E. when it's freezing the hose gets stiff and doesn't want to stretch over your spur.

Ohh and Hi I'm new to the site. Been checking out some saddle hunting stuff and found this site.. lots of great stuff in this place! At some point here I think I'd like to get into an aero hunter as well.

Ohh and Hi I'm new to the site. Been checking out some saddle hunting stuff and found this site.. lots of great stuff in this place! At some point here I think I'd like to get into an aero hunter as well.
Welcome to the forum. I'm poor now because of it and lovin every minute!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome. I can see that! Lots of ways to save some $ on here as well.

Are you all walking in your spurs or something? What's the function of guards? I thought they put those on new spurs so you could see how quickly they would be lost.

Back