• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

End finishing resc tech

casts_by_fly

Dec 10, 2022
NJ
Hi all,

absent the shrink tubing that EWO uses and sells, is there another good way to end finish resc tech? It doesn’t melt with a lighter and I remember reading it was designed to be heat resistant. I did what I could with a lighter and that sorted the core. I used super glue to fold the sheath into itself in the core and wrapped it with tape. I don’t think it will come loose but there has to be a better way.

thanks
rick

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I’m not sure what type EWO sells but I use marine/HD heat shrink on mine. Yes it’s heat shrink like you mentioned but marine heat shrink is lined with adhesive to create a liquid tight permanent bond. I can tell you from experience once you’ve shrunk it to the line it will not come off - you’ll have to cut that piece off if you need to work on the end.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
Ok.....here are some weird random thoughts.

I use 6mm accessory cord as my climbing method attachment. I taped and whipped and it works great for keeping the rope from fraying. An unforseen thing I found out later after use is that the whip part of the rope makes a hard little ball that can make make a knocking noise on the trunk of the tree when i tie my timber hitch attachment. On a rope that I know will make tree contact in the future I will just whip and cut and the fray will cushion the hard whip ball from knocking against the tree trunk.......glad I got that off my chest. Please resume normal conversation

I had the heat shrink on the end of my recuetec when it showed up in the mail but it didn't last long. It fell off somewhere

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
I know, you said except the EWO shrink sleeve, but this is exactly what I use. Its lined with adhesive so when you shrink it, it is there for good. I've used it on the end of several different ropes and it hasn't failed me yet.

Edit, FWIW, you don't need a heat shrink gun to shrink it, I used a light touch with a simple propane torch.

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
Jul 16, 2019
Delaware
I know, you said except the EWO shrink sleeve, but this is exactly what I use. Its lined with adhesive so when you shrink it, it is there for good. I've used it on the end of several different ropes and it hasn't failed me yet.
I wasn’t gunna suggest it because OP already addressed it, but I agree 100%. I just bought a bunch of both sizes, cost me like $5 for way more than I need.

Reactions: boyne bowhunter

bfriendly

Jul 15, 2021
thanks. I actually never thought to check with the manufacturer…. I guess super glue wasnt a bad choice then. Theirs is cleaner but now I know for next time.

I only said ‘not the rope caps’ because I don’t have those. Next ewo order I’ll pick some up.
I was wondering why not those. At like 0.15/ea, every order with EWO should have them….I just got more too. =0) I just made a new prussik with TRC and finished with hem. Kinda cool the new ones have the EWO logo on them!

Reactions: DelaWhere_Arrow