• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Sticks Opinions

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I picked up some land that is supposed to be good but the owner says no spurs. I've never owned a climbing stick but I need to get some. Which are the best for the money? I want to get a minimum of 20' high.

I have been using the lone wolfs for a while now. They are good, but the thing I don't like about them is they only have the single steps. I've become a big fan of double steps on the top and bottom, the bottom for holding an aider on, the top for a better surface to stand on while setting the next stick. I picked up some of the muddy pro's (the 20 inch ones). I like the design a lot, I like how compact they are, but the craftsmanship leaves a lot to be desired, so I wouldn't recommend them. They are also a little heavier than they need to be, but you don't feel it as bad because they are compact.

I love the design of the hawk heliums, minus their strap attachment system. They have this little bracket, and then they have a separate hook and cam buckle. It leaves way too many things to clank around. The stick portion itself is by far the lightest and best designed stick. So to make the heliums work you have to have to install a lone wolf versa button. IMO if you just install the button, its still not great because the head of the versa button bolt prevents the sticks from sitting well on each other. So then you have to tap out a spot on the back of the stick above it for that bolt to rest in. Dave (and I think Kenn) have done this and they are thrilled with the sticks this way. I have a set that I still have to tap out the back of the other stick and I think once I get that done they will be my go to sticks.

So the point of all that was that if you are willing to put a little work in, the heliums are probably the best. If you want something to work out of the box, I would go with lone wolfs. Whichever you go with, you can put at least a 1 step aider on the bottom of each to get your higher.

Actually with the Lone Wolf Versa buttons it is rather easy to take a large drill bit and countersink the bolt heads... This allows the sticks to stack perfectly. I think I saw this in my latest video on my sticks where i built a new stack of modified helium sticks

I have been using the lone wolfs for a while now. They are good, but the thing I don't like about them is they only have the single steps. I've become a big fan of double steps on the top and bottom, the bottom for holding an aider on, the top for a better surface to stand on while setting the next stick. I picked up some of the muddy pro's (the 20 inch ones). I like the design a lot, I like how compact they are, but the craftsmanship leaves a lot to be desired, so I wouldn't recommend them. They are also a little heavier than they need to be, but you don't feel it as bad because they are compact.

I love the design of the hawk heliums, minus their strap attachment system. They have this little bracket, and then they have a separate hook and cam buckle. It leaves way too many things to clank around. The stick portion itself is by far the lightest and best designed stick. So to make the heliums work you have to have to install a lone wolf versa button. IMO if you just install the button, its still not great because the head of the versa button bolt prevents the sticks from sitting well on each other. So then you have to tap out a spot on the back of the stick above it for that bolt to rest in. Dave (and I think Kenn) have done this and they are thrilled with the sticks this way. I have a set that I still have to tap out the back of the other stick and I think once I get that done they will be my go to sticks.

So the point of all that was that if you are willing to put a little work in, the heliums are probably the best. If you want something to work out of the box, I would go with lone wolfs. Whichever you go with, you can put at least a 1 step aider on the bottom of each to get your higher.
Thank you Red! This gets me thinking.

Actually with the Lone Wolf Versa buttons it is rather easy to take a large drill bit and countersink the bolt heads... This allows the sticks to stack perfectly. I think I saw this in my latest video on my sticks where i built a new stack of modified helium sticks
Dave, you typically hunt around 16-18 feet if my memory serves correctly. With the modified Heliums how high could you get with 4 sticks and will 4 nest together correctly?

You would definitely be over 20ft with dave's set up. I think he has 1 step aiders which helps. I used my three full length heliums with 2 3-step aiders on the first two sticks. At the top I ranged it and I was at 26 feet.

My 3 LW sticks with 3-step aiders on each one get me to 20+ feet. I have no experience with the Hawks, but I won't carry more than 3 sticks of any brand. 4 is too bulky and cumbersome to install.

Dave, you typically hunt around 16-18 feet if my memory serves correctly. With the modified Heliums how high could you get with 4 sticks and will 4 nest together correctly?

I prefer 18-20 which i get easily with 3 sticks.... if i want to get higher I will one stick method the rest

My hawk sticks are 21" between steps and the aider is 21". So setting the stick so aider is 21" off the ground, the top step is 63" off the ground. Repeat for 3 sticks and your 189". Assuming you step up onto the platform another 21", your at 210". Divide that by 12 and your at 17.5 ft.

And my current aiders are 24" and first stick is set higher on tree as I can step up higher. Not sure about you but if I want to I can easily step up 30"

You can come watch me if you like :)

Last edited:
That's why I use 3-step aiders and a climbing stick with 3 steps. Gets me where I want to be every time.

And my current aiders are 24" and first stick is set higher on tree as I can step up higher. Not sure about you but if I want to I can easily step up 30"

You can come watch me if you like :)

Not doubting you Dave, didn't quote your post in mine. Simply stated how high I get. Im 6'2 and all legs, so yes I can stretch out pretty well. However with my mid weight camo on, not a chance.

I know Dave. I'm going to do this on mine too. I was just letting Huck know that if he goes the helium route, he should plan on doing it..

I use 5 step aiders when I want to cut weight. Each stick gets me 7.5 feet on average but I can get 8 feet on the bottom stick with a little extra effort

Back