• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CargoCamper

IHI6FAN

Vendor Rep
Thought I would show my little project cargo camper. Its 5x5.5x8.5 I have alot to do before saddlepalooza 2019. Got quite a few things to get completed before then. Plan to extend the hitch 24" to allow for a toolbox to house batteries an controller for solor power down the road. Build new rack an add basket /roof rack up top. This will let me move kayak off the top then on the side of the trailer, put small rv door on side. Add fold down table on the back door an possibly one on the side for cooking ect. Lots of plans too little time. Would love to see some pics of what some of the other fellow saddle hunters have done to their cargo campers.
20181128_234111.jpg

I have been wanting to build one like a pack up trailer forever
bd7e2c7e20169107ca9e33e629822889.jpg
89608e46d5a13ab054cde4ece8c6f281.jpg
21f5abed2f5d90700d1c90da35cf471b.jpg
8878b39bcb4825151caab1698bf7e400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you give some details. I’m a little confused on what I’m looking at. I get the grill, tent cot, cooler, and toolbox. What’s the roll cage looking deal for?

I’ve been considering doing a 6x12 cargo camper myself. Nothing super fancy just something I can hook to and go without spending an hour putting up tents and setting up tables stoves etc. if you plan on sleeping in yours consider a fantastic fan roof vent. I’m kind of torn between a cargo trailer and a pop up. With the cargo trailer I would definitely add a fold down tablebut probably on the side to allow loading/unloading of atv without packing up everything. Would also consider some kind of awning or tarp to cover the kitchen and give a covered sitting area. If you put your table and tarp on the same side as your evening door it will give you a somewhat dry place to remove muddy boots before going inside. The cool thing about cargo trailers are they are a blank slate. You can make them super nice or just leave as is and throw a mattress on the floor and call it done. If you go the super nice route it’s cheaper to buy a nice used camper.

Did the popup and done with them. Setup prior to leaving to pack, can't camp in Walmart or rest areas, get's wet camping, get home setup again to unpack and dry out. Switched to cargo trailers and that's all I'll use now. Did a 7x12 toy hauler so I can setup bunks across the back (I'm 6'5"). Switched this year to a 7x18 so we can haul two ATVs out west for hunting trips. Will sleep 4-5.

Sounds nice @DanO. I get the problems with PopUps. I can’t use an atv on 90 percent of my hunts with exception to private then I just drive my truck. I like hunting out west but usually fly out. Too little vacation to spend half of it driving. I’m a side sleeper with one arm under my pillow and out the top so my bunk has to go front to back unless I went to an 8 foot wide.

I have plans to do similar project but want to use a 7x14 enclosed V nose. Got a deal on a 8x20 V but realized that I'd have to purchase another truck to haul that thing up and down the road. Going to sell or trade that one before starting any project. Sure makes life easier staying dry, warm and gear a little more secured.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

7x14 is a great size if you don't need room for multiple ATVs. My buddy had a 7x20 steel frame factory conversion but it weighed 5000# unloaded. Switched to an R&R aluminum frame and its half the weight and we don't worry about it rusting out.

Make sure you all check out http://tnttt.com/ - they have a whole subforum on Cargo Trailer Conversions.

Love it I thought of doing something similar also till I started looking at cargo trailers.

Im using the one I have now to test out some ideas. Will absolutely be putting a fantasticfan on it wish I would have had one last year it was a warm one down there. Will be adding a 270 degree awning also for shade an to keep the weather off of me while cooking.
My plan it to pick up an 7x14 all aluminum v nose an build out.

@DanO do you have issues with the size or ground clearance of your trailer when going out west to hunt? I hunt National forest in Mississippi an the government roads are no issue an have large turnarounds at the end. Just curious how it is in some of the western states towing a trailer back in to BLM or National Forest.

@DanO do you have issues with the size or ground clearance of your trailer when going out west to hunt? I hunt National forest in Mississippi an the government roads are no issue an have large turnarounds at the end. Just curious how it is in some of the western states towing a trailer back in to BLM or National Forest.

Took the low clearance 7x12 down a two track that I shouldn't have. Bent the two rear stabilizer jacks up a little, but other than that it was ok as I tried to keep it out of the ruts. On our 7x18 we factory ordered a different torsion axle angle to give us more than 3" additional clearance. For a regular cargo trailer with leaf springs the common approach is to the "flip" the axle which involves mounting the axle below the springs instead of above. Still leaves the low clearance of the axle though.

I’ve been considering doing a 6x12 cargo camper myself. Nothing super fancy just something I can hook to and go without spending an hour putting up tents and setting up tables stoves etc. if you plan on sleeping in yours consider a fantastic fan roof vent. I’m kind of torn between a cargo trailer and a pop up. With the cargo trailer I would definitely add a fold down tablebut probably on the side to allow loading/unloading of atv without packing up everything. Would also consider some kind of awning or tarp to cover the kitchen and give a covered sitting area. If you put your table and tarp on the same side as your evening door it will give you a somewhat dry place to remove muddy boots before going inside. The cool thing about cargo trailers are they are a blank slate. You can make them super nice or just leave as is and throw a mattress on the floor and call it done. If you go the super nice route it’s cheaper to buy a nice used camper.

I would go a minimum 14’. I have a 12’ currently and it gets tight with me and my gear. It’s certainly doable but that extra 2’ allows for someone else to join you and still move around the inside when getting ready or during a rain storm. I’ll have my 12’ setup this weekend, I’ll take some pics.

Back