• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best pack for saddle hunting

Mark@tn

What packs are you guys using for saddle hunting? This will be my first year in a saddle (one sticking). Don’t want a pack that gets in the way of my saddle while climbing and keep weight to a minimum.

There is a whole massive thread about packs if you want to spend a few hours reading haha. But some key points.

Most don't one stick with a pack on. Usually they tie a rope to the pack and bring it up after getting up to hunting height, one sticking is easier when you are least encumbered.

If you are not planning to quarter and pack out a deer. Some are finding minimalist packs work really well or not even bringing a pack at all. Have everything you need in a few pouches or a chest rig. Carry your stick in one hand and your weapon in the other.

But a list of a few popular packs that :

-Eberlestock: X2, F1, Dagger, Bandit

-Mystery Ranch: PopUp series and the Pintler, The Treehouse series.

-Kifaru: Stryker and Stryker XL, .22 Mag

For myself, I use a Eberlestock Dagger with minimalist setup for early season. Then move on to a PopUp frame with Pintler bag for later season when I need to carry lots of clothing.

My Dagger setup is less than 10lbs usually, 12lbs at most when I do ROS+platform.

1692790341281.png

Osprey stratos!

Don’t limit yourself to products marketed to hunters. The backpacking/hiking/outdoor community has some of the absolute best gear, it just isn’t sold in camo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and link, I’m hunting mid tn so quartering and packing out isn’t really needed. I can get 4wheeler to most places I’ll be hunting.

Thanks for the replies and link, I’m hunting mid tn so quartering and packing out isn’t really needed. I can get 4wheeler to most places I’ll be hunting.

Then I suggest asking yourself do you really need a pack? What are you carrying that you really need that you can't have.

Are you going back to the truck for lunch break?
Great cell signals?
Filming?
etc.

One thing about saddles is that with a few pouches, you honestly don't need a pack with you.

My first few seasons I used a Gallen bag that worked awesome in the early season for DRT. Late season packing lots of layers / as I started occasionally carrying sticks that bag just wasn’t enough. So I just got an Eberlestock x2.

I hate to say it but we all have unique needs depending on where And how we hunt. So take all of our suggestions lightly; try to imagine what you think you’ll need and go from there. You many not get it right on the first try, or you may end up collecting packs.

My first few seasons I used a Gallen bag that worked awesome in the early season for DRT. Late season packing lots of layers / as I started occasionally carrying sticks that bag just wasn’t enough. So I just got an Eberlestock x2.

I hate to say it but we all have unique needs depending on where And how we hunt. So take all of our suggestions lightly; try to imagine what you think you’ll need and go from there. You many not get it right on the first try, or you may end up collecting packs.

Agree completely. Remember you're not marrying the pack. If it doesn't work for your need, take it as a learning experience and try another pack.

What packs are you guys using for saddle hunting? This will be my first year in a saddle (one sticking). Don’t want a pack that gets in the way of my saddle while climbing and keep weight to a minimum.
You will get 100 different guys with 100 different answers. It is honestly what works for you best for your needs.

I have a Trophyline Platow pack when I am hunting light and can use a deer cart. If I need to quarter and pack, EXO. I also one stick and always climb with my pack on.

I like to carry my one stick on the bottom of my pack so I can reach back unclip the buckles and access my stick with out taking off my backpack. When I get to height I attach my pack to the tree with the built in tree strap and then take my platform off the back of the pack and set my platform. I use a Mystery Ranch Treehouse 38. I need the 38L pack to carry in layers in colder weather. The keys for me are the buckle straps on the bottom, not just cinch straps, the integrated tree strap which is just a buckle strap located appropriately to strap the bag to the tree, the lid that opens away from the tree and has two way access depending if the lid is open or closed ability to strap a platform to the out side and plenty of volume for bulky, cold weather layers since I walk in with minimal layers so I don't sweat them up.

The key is finding one that meets your needs. I went through 4 cheap packs before I found the right one for my needs. Follow the Official Back Pack thread, and follow the classifieds, I consider myself lucky finding the right pack on the 5th try. It will take a little personal experience to figure what really want and need.

Enjoy

20221011_081430.6jpg.jpg

20230812_152817.jpg

Just for another opinion,, I also have a collection of packs that I don't use. My favorite for the past 30 yrs is a high dollar Wal Mart version. I think it was less than $20. I put back straps and tenderloins in it in my truck this week and when I changed clothes and got in, my Lab was licking her lips and had torn out my zipper. Now on the hunt for a new cheap fleece pack. I like it bc. it is lighter than anything I've bought. Packs are like camo, boots, saddles and anything else for hunting, if you find something you like, you better buy two....

I like to carry my one stick on the bottom of my pack so I can reach back unclip the buckles and access my stick with out taking off my backpack. When I get to height I attach my pack to the tree with the built in tree strap and then take my platform off the back of the pack and set my platform. I use a Mystery Ranch Treehouse 38. I need the 38L pack to carry in layers in colder weather. The keys for me are the buckle straps on the bottom, not just cinch straps, the integrated tree strap which is just a buckle strap located appropriately to strap the bag to the tree, the lid that opens away from the tree and has two way access depending if the lid is open or closed ability to strap a platform to the out side and plenty of volume for bulky, cold weather layers since I walk in with minimal layers so I don't sweat them up.

The key is finding one that meets your needs. I went through 4 cheap packs before I found the right one for my needs. Follow the Official Back Pack thread, and follow the classifieds, I consider myself lucky finding the right pack on the 5th try. It will take a little personal experience to figure what really want and need.

Enjoy

View attachment 89394

View attachment 89391
i have that same pack. like how the top flops open and acts like a shelf and the material is soft and quiet.

i have that same pack. like how the top flops open and acts like a shelf and the material is soft and quiet.

If you're trying to be minimalist, check out the new MR Treehouse 9 lumbar pack that I have in the classifieds lol. Otherwise, my personal preference is the EXO K4 2200 setup or a chest rig and/or battle belt setup for this year depending on layers, etc.!

I use a kifaru 22mag gen 2. It’s an unbelievable pack across the board but admittedly it’s a bit overkill for the use. But I’d imagine kifaru bags are overkill for most situations but they are top notch.

Back