• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attention new Saddle hunters!

IHI6FAN

Vendor Rep
This is just a message to all of you new guys an gals getting in to saddle hunting. Im sure everyone has noticed the explosion of intrest in saddle hunting. With that Im seeing alot of posts on facebook an saddle hunter from people that have purchased saddles or diffrent climbing systems an dont seem to give them selves enough time to become comfortable an effective with their gear. When I started 12 years ago I was scrolling thru Archerytalk an found @Boudreaux thread. Im 5'10" an was 299 at the time. Not the type of build you would expect from a saddle hunter but I stuck with it. An each year I got better an have not one time been in a conventional treestand since. It takes time weather it is a saddle or new climbing system. Purchased wild edge steps this year an since receiving them it is all i have used an when I say Im slow with them I mean if there were sloths in Indiana trying to go up the same trees I am they would have serious road rage. I will continue to use them an will get better an faster.
@redsquirrel @g2outdoors @flinginairos @IkemanTX @Erniepower @Big Country an there are more Im not listing here but these are a few I had the pleasure of meeting at saddlepalooza 2018 an are very helpful guys an serious saddlehunters. So stick with it guys an gals an dont be afraid to reach out to some of the vets of saddle hunting on here. If your around the warsaw Indiana area please dont be afraid to reach out to me an I will be glad to help with any issues your having with your saddle or climbing system.

This is just a message to all of you new guys an gals getting in to saddle hunting. Im sure everyone has noticed the explosion of intrest in saddle hunting. With that Im seeing alot of posts on facebook an saddle hunter from people that have purchased saddles or diffrent climbing systems an dont seem to give them selves enough time to become comfortable an effective with their gear. When I started 12 years ago I was scrolling thru Archerytalk an found @Boudreaux thread. Im 5'10" an was 299 at the time. Not the type of build you would expect from a saddle hunter but I stuck with it. An each year I got better an have not one time been in a conventional treestand since. It takes time weather it is a saddle or new climbing system. Purchased wild edge steps this year an since receiving them it is all i have used an when I say Im slow with them I mean if there were sloths in Indiana trying to go up the same trees I am they would have serious road rage. I will continue to use them an will get better an faster.
@redsquirrel @g2outdoors @flinginairos @IkemanTX @Erniepower @Big Country an there are more Im not listing here but these are a few I had the pleasure of meeting at saddlepalooza 2018 an are very helpful guys an serious saddlehunters. So stick with it guys an gals an dont be afraid to reach out to some of the vets of saddle hunting on here. If your around the warsaw Indiana area please dont be afraid to reach out to me an I will be glad to help with any issues your having with your saddle or climbing system.
@IHI6FAN (fingers crossed) Next week should be my first ever saddle hunt. If the #1 overarching thing to remember is to be patient with the process, what are some of the specific areas of frustration/learning that you ran into and are there anything things (in addition to repetition) that helped you with the learning curve on those or that you’d change now in hindsight?

@IHI6FAN (fingers crossed) Next week should be my first ever saddle hunt. If the #1 overarching thing to remember is to be patient with the process, what are some of the specific areas of frustration/learning that you ran into and are there anything things (in addition to repetition) that helped you with the learning curve on those or that you’d change now in hindsight?

#1 Climbing. I think most guys get a few rough tree climbs and give up. Imho

Spend as much time as you can until it becomes second nature figuring out how to get ready to climb, climbing, hanging and setting up gear, packing before climbing down, climbing down, packing before you head out.
Everything has a place and order in and out of the bag. It really makes thing simple.
KISS

#2 hip pinch. I think people think there in a lazy boy recliner. It takes awhile to get comfortable in a saddle. I’m sure you’ve heard of saddle shape. It’s real. It’s a thing. By the end of season your body has adapted beautifully to sitting in the saddle.

Start with short sits and they will get longer and more comfortable each time.

There are no hard laws as to what YOU find comfortable for YOU in the tree! We all share our experiences and what I do may not work for you but maybe the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think climbing is the first hurdle if you are used to a ladder stand an now your using stixs or screw ins its going to be diffrent dont try to over extend your self while climbing. Seat time is big too set up at ground level an shoot your bow in every possible angle you can imagine. If its not easy dont give up stick with it. I think we are going to start seeing alot more guys with a big following using a saddle. Tetherd is doing a great job marketing an getting those type of guys in to Saddles.

@ImThere is right. One of the biggest complaints I hear about "saddle hunting" doesn't actually have anything to do with saddle hunting...it's about climbing the tree!!!! Run-n-gun hunting is a lot more difficult than what a lot of guys expect. In my opinion, a saddle actually makes mobile hunting EASIER!

Don't get discouraged. Stick with it. There's some great advice in this thread already.

For me when I started there were very few saddles out there. I worked construction and using safety harnesses I think gave me an advantage on hunting out of a saddle. If you ever hung stands with a climbing belt I believe that will help you . But hanging out of a saddle does take some getting use too. Take your time everyone should go at a pace they fill comfortable with . The main thing is to feel safe with your setup. Don't rush take your time and practice at ground level until you are. Good luck and stay safe.

Saddle hunting has been a lot of fun. This is my first year. I have enjoyed the heck out of learning a totally new way to hunt. I am still struggling with a better way to carry 4 sticks and put a jacket on in the saddle but it will come. I am gaining confidence every hunt.

Side note: I went north to hunt some private land with my cousin. All ladder stands like I used to hunt. It is so awkward now. I feel so exposed in front of the tree. Standing up is loud, and I want to be in different trees... I think this saddle thing has ruined me for ladder stands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@ImThere is right. One of the biggest complaints I hear about "saddle hunting" doesn't actually have anything to do with saddle hunting...it's about climbing the tree!!!! Run-n-gun hunting is a lot more difficult than what a lot of guys expect. In my opinion, a saddle actually makes mobile hunting EASIER!

Don't get discouraged. Stick with it. There's some great advice in this thread already.
Or climbing down/packing up. Really wishing my ezkut had arrived in time for this weekend. Sticks add so much bulk, individual steps are a hassle and still bulky, aiders trade bulk for hassle until you get practice, spurs take even more practice, etc. In some ways maybe its easier to just eat the bulk of a hang on stand and sticks as they naturally match each other...getting everything trimmed down to match the saddle is the trick I'm still working on. And on the comforand quiet side there are different levels too. I can move more quietly in a saddle, but currently end up moving more and have gotten busted doing so when not dialed in. I can be more comfortable in a short period in a stand, but might run out of comfy posotions sooner.

@redsquirrel @g2outdoors @ImThere @IHI6FAN

The sticky in “Saddle Information for New Users” is great, but are there any threads where the experienced guys walk through their full process from Imthere’s #1 above? I’m sure there’s variability between a prepped tree v. run-n-gun, but I’m interested to see the order of operations everyone uses when they get to the base of the tree.

The sticky in “Saddle Information for New Users” is great, but are there any threads where the experienced guys walk through their full process from Imthere’s #1 above? I’m sure there’s variability between a prepped tree v. run-n-gun, but I’m interested to see the order of operations everyone uses when they get to the base of the tree.

I have thought about it. I think my system is silly simple. I take the same approach to every tree, every time.

I have thought about it. I think my system is silly simple. I take the same approach to every tree, every time.

@ImThere Please do tell! I’m going to have a mad dash this week (hopefully) to get up to speed for the rest of the season. I’m just reading/watching everything I can until my saddle arrives.

I think no matter if its run and gun or presets the one thing that has to be done at the base of the tree is before starting get a game plan together. Figure out first where you want to be once tethered to the tree. Then you can see the route of the climb. Set yourself up so the things necessary for the climb (puners, saw, linemans rope, and tether) are handy. Execute the plan. Take your time. Rushing leads to mistakes. Once at height hang your platform. Hang your gear. Hunt! You won't climb every tree the same but once you stop and get a plan for the climb the setup process is the same

I think no matter if its run and gun or presets the one thing that has to be done at the base of the tree is before starting get a game plan together. Figure out first where you want to be once tethered to the tree. Then you can see the route of the climb. Set yourself up so the things necessary for the climb (puners, saw, linemans rope, and tether) are handy. Execute the plan. Take your time. Rushing leads to mistakes. Once at height hang your platform. Hang your gear. Hunt! You won't climb every tree the same but once you stop and get a plan for the climb the setup process is the same
Don't forget the often bulkiest, fiddly, and most important items- climbing method! (Hence so many options and preferences!)

Im not sure if there are to be honest.

Back