• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ATC Rappel With a Bridge

justsomedude

IMG_1026.JPG Extending your bridge keeps the ATC away from your hands and makes tending easier.

Assuming your brake and auto block are on your right. An interesting difference with a bridge is that if you rotate from side to side, it changed the tension on your ATC teeth and the auto block.

Once your auto block is engaged, rotating left releases the ATC and you descend. Rotating right puts tension on the auto block and locks you down. Using Yale Bandit and a 3 wrap auto block (I think it is 7mm accessory cord?) it was self tending.

DON'T TRUST IT. But it works.

Last edited:
Transitioning from ropeman to ATC on same rope

BACKUP CLIP AROUND THE TREE WITH A PERSONAL ANCHOR OR HOOK YOUR LINEMAN'S BELT AROUND THE TREE AND TO ITSELF. You will never be unclipped from the tree in this process but better safe than sorry.

With your platform or webbing stirrups/aider still attached, your Ropeman needs to be up high enough so you can rig the ATC beneath it. Keeping your weight on the tether keeps it in place while hooking up the ATC.
Once you have the ATC and Autoblock rigged, lift them up the rope to take out the slack and the ATC up close to the Ropeman. Stand up to unload the rope man just enough to unclip it while keeping the ATC clipped in.
Now weight ATC and get the Autoblock engaged. You can descend enough to detach your platform.If you were using an Aider at this stage you didn't have to descend to detach it.

Leave the Ropeman/Biner far enough from the tree that it doesn't interfere with retrieval.

IMG_1027.JPG

Last edited:
If I had money to burn, I would consider the Petzl ID as I wouldnt have to switch anything and I wouldn't have to rig an autoblock. I've never seen the ID before and don't have a handle on its size and bulk

If I had money to burn, I would consider the Petzl ID as I wouldnt have to switch anything and I wouldn't have to rig an autoblock. I've never seen the ID before and don't have a handle on its size and bulk
Great device, but big and bulky.

Have you considered using it in autoblock mode? Then you can stop when ever you want on the way down to clean up for future use?

Bumping this for posterity....
And for MYSELF so I can remember all the crap I figured out a few years ago!

There was an issue raised about switching over to the rappel device.
This is how I do it 100% safely.

Also an easy rope retrieval method

Bumping this for posterity....
And for MYSELF so I can remember all the crap I figured out a few years ago!

There was an issue raised about switching over to the rappel device.
This is how I do it 100% safely.

Also an easy rope retrieval method

New to the site, thanks for bringing it back. Getting ready to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back