• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Action Cameras/ 360 Cameras

K.D.P

SH Member
I’m looking to get something other than my phone to film my hunts with. I’m going to run my phone on a InstaFlow Gimbal as my main camera. Well at least try it out and be sure it works. I’m looking into adding another camera. I’ve looked at a GoPro/DJI Action mounted on my bow. I’ve also thought about a 360 camera mounted to the tree so I can get some good angles. Has anyone had any experience with any do these methods? Video examples? Editing hacks? Etc?

Following bc I’m going down this rabbit hole, too. Not trying to create “content” but would like to create video journals (I guess that’s what I’ll call it).

I just bought an insta360 x2. Will report (hopefully with footage) after turkey season. Mostly bought as a no BS, zero movement way to film my turkey hunts as well as my try to capture my daughter's first turkey.

I’ve gotta decide if I want the extra weight of a GoPro attached to my stabilizer or just get a 360 camera.

I’ve gotta decide if I want the extra weight of a GoPro attached to my stabilizer or just get a 360 camera.
Seems like the benifit to the 360 is you will get some footage. Won't be the best. But the go pro will give you the better quality?
I asked about these a while ago. I like the simplicity of just Turing on a 360 to try and see shot placement. But I'm not sure I would get a good enough picture to check it? Seems the tuber guys are using a 360 for a lead up. But only posting the focused camera shot. So maybe the quality isn't there?
I was hoping some more guys have used one and could give some insight as well.
I never spent the money on a 360 cause I didn't think it would accomplish what I hoped it would. Unless someone can confirm.

Mounting a go pro or tactacam on the bow defeats the main goal of seeing shot placement. I have tried them all, tactacam is the worst. The vibration from the bow makes it hard to see shot placement. Go pro is better but still not great. Cell phone has the same issue. I think if shot placement is your main goal, any cam can be used, but I would not mount it to the bow. 360 is at least set and do not have to worry about the deer being in the frame. Mount it to the tree or branch

Mounting a go pro or tactacam on the bow defeats the main goal of seeing shot placement. I have tried them all, tactacam is the worst. The vibration from the bow makes it hard to see shot placement. Go pro is better but still not great. Cell phone has the same issue. I think if shot placement is your main goal, any cam can be used, but I would not mount it to the bow. 360 is at least set and do not have to worry about the deer being in the frame. Mount it to the tree or branch

I would just want one to see that baby moose sized white tail I missed last year lol. That way people would believe me when I tell them what a monster it was.

Then again, if I had it to watch over and over again, I'd probably be rocking in a corner muttering to myself. I still kick myself in the butt for missing that deer.

BT

How about a gopro or tactacam on a ground stake pointed in the direction of the decoy for turkeys. You can control both with a remote control to turn them on. The tactacam has a decent picture but like someone already said the vibration of the shot pretty much ruins the video.

Back