• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arsenal Platform

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
Seems like the post twists easily on relatively straight trees.

Not an optical illusion. The bracket finds it’s set and if where the the platform wants to settle isn’t exactly in line, it is torquing that post around. Gotta be a lot of stress on the pivot bolt too.

IMG_5196.png

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
Not an optical illusion. The bracket finds it’s set and if where the the platform wants to settle isn’t exactly in line, it is torquing that post around. Gotta be a lot of stress on the pivot bolt too.

View attachment 89711

Yea, the post definitely twists. On a hard leaning tree where you only have 1 tooth hitting its pretty bad.

JamieB

SH Member
Aug 9, 2021
NE WI
I'm curious, do you think it's similar/worse to the bend you sometimes see on sticks when sucked tight to a tree? I realize that is not a torque issue, but a bend moment issue.

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
I'm curious, do you think it's similar/worse to the bend you sometimes see on sticks when sucked tight to a tree? I realize that is not a torque issue, but a bend moment issue.

Yea I mean the post is what 5/8” thick? It’s pretty thin.

JamieB

SH Member
Aug 9, 2021
NE WI
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Whenever a new product comes out, it's great to see the detail and attention from everyone on here to any possible safety concerns and what to watch for - safety first!

Reactions: BTaylor

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
It packs flatter than any platform on the market. Also it’s extremely light for its size.

While the RZR Magnum is 15% more surface area than the LWCG Fix and 10% lighter, it is also noticeably less rigid and doesn't seem to set nearly as solid in almost every scenario. Form vs Function.

I do agree that it transports exceptionally well. Form and function there. Not only is it thin and flat, but it is not sharp or grabby. It can be tossed in a decent backpack without so much concern. If that's someone's jam, then it is maybe worth the look. It's probably not going to be such a big deal to folks who lash their platform on a backpack or drop it into a beaver tail pouch or load shelf.

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
While the RZR Magnum is 15% more surface area than the LWCG Fix and 10% lighter, it is also noticeably less rigid and doesn't seem to set nearly as solid in almost every scenario. Form vs Function.

I do agree that it transports exceptionally well. Form and function there. Not only is it thin and flat, but it is not sharp or grabby. It can be tossed in a decent backpack without so much concern. If that's someone's jam, then it is maybe worth the look. It's probably not going to be such a big deal to folks who lash their platform on a backpack or drop it into a beaver tail pouch or load shelf.

It does NOT set more solid than the fix that’s true which is why I sold it and kept the fix… well then and I could turn around easier on the fix. The platform is pretty rigid though. All the flex I saw was in the post when I was testing it out. I could put both feet on the outside of the platform and shift weight back and forth and watch the post bow side to side. I didn’t feel any excessive flex in the platform itself.

Reactions: Plebe and BTaylor

Arrowsquirrel

SH Member
Feb 5, 2019
Sounds like they need to beef up the post. I haven't had one in my hand but it seems like you could jog the post out and offset the top bracket a bit towards the back and have teeth all the way across that folded into the jog on the post so that it still packed flat. Might cause problem with attachment methods and would need a slot to fit into on the platform if there isnt one already.

Screenshot_20230831_085823_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Plebe

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I’ve always lightly lashed my climbing method and platform to the outside of my pack so sleekness or flatness has never been a selling point to me. I tried storing my platform in the pack but I don’t like pulling everything out or in and out to put the platform back in. I have carried a platform in between the pack and the frame several times and could see a thinner platform being handy there. I was really intrigued and impressed by the design, but I don’t think it is enough to dethrone the fix for me.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
It does NOT set more solid than the fix that’s true which is why I sold it and kept the fix… well then and I could turn around easier on the fix. The platform is pretty rigid though. All the flex I saw was in the post when I was testing it out. I could put both feet on the outside of the platform and shift weight back and forth and watch the post bow side to side. I didn’t feel any excessive flex in the platform itself.

I wouldn't call the magRZR platform flex excessive, but compared to the Fix, it's way more imo. It really is more of a statement about the Fix being very rigid, which some prefer. I found the RZR pretty comfortable to stand on, possibly because it has some give. Idk, maybe it was my footwear or just the dogs weren't barking at the time, lol. It certainly wasn't a diving board or anything like that.

The first time I tried to turn on the platform, it shifted and I fell. No such problem with a cam strap; I have yet to try one of my RDA daisy chain elites. Anyways, in size 13 running shoes the turn was better than I expected. I'm not sure how that'll go in boots. For smaller footed users with narrow shoulders, I think it might be not much of an issue at all.

The post worries me a little.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
I’ve always lightly lashed my climbing method and platform to the outside of my pack so sleekness or flatness has never been a selling point to me. I tried storing my platform in the pack but I don’t like pulling everything out or in and out to put the platform back in. I have carried a platform in between the pack and the frame several times and could see a thinner platform being handy there. I was really intrigued and impressed by the design, but I don’t think it is enough to dethrone the fix for me.

I agree, but I do see where storing a platform in a pack can make good sense. It could be handy during a scout-and-hunt style setup.

Usually I pack my outerwear and layers and platform and climbing method and hike to a known area, so a frame pack makes the most sense to me. (It's amazing the weight and bulk of outerwear btw).

However, in a new area or under the right conditions I might set out on a track, or still hunt or scout, but come across something screaming for an ambush setup.

In that case, a lightweight platform in a lesser pack (loaded close to one's back) isn't going to impose much felt weight. Add 2TC and saddle and kill kit and a maybe puffy vest and it's a pretty complete way to go about it without bogging one's still hunt/track/scouting down.

Lightweight frame packs would still do the trick very well, but in this scenario it is possible to get away with a less robust pack solution if so desired.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
Sounds like they need to beef up the post. I haven't had one in my hand but it seems like you could jog the post out and offset the top bracket a bit towards the back and have teeth all the way across that folded into the jog on the post so that it still packed flat. Might cause problem with attachment methods and would need a slot to fit into on the platform if there isnt one already.

View attachment 89743

The RZR bracket design could likely be improved without a major re-design of the post. But I hope other companies are taking note here, a folding bracket is really good stuff but needs to get it done on the tree. Hope to see some thoughtful future designs come to market.

Could be aftermarket opportunities too.

Fgirtyman

SH Member
Apr 24, 2022
Northwest Wisconsin
WEBSITE
flirtygirty.com
The RZR bracket design could likely be improved without a major re-design of the post. But I hope other companies are taking note here, a folding bracket is really good stuff but needs to get it done on the tree. Hope to see some thoughtful future designs come to market.

Could be aftermarket opportunities too.
Appreciate everyone’s input and testing of equipment on this forum. The safety and comfort tests saves all of us trial and error plus cash. If not for all, at least some of us. Thanks!